Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Chinatown Treats and Sweets

Every time I go to Chinatown, I can't resist trying something new, and then falling for the same curiosity trap (yes MSG can kill you).

This time, my failures balanced out my breakthroughs. Although my 7 for $1 pork-and-chive dumplings and $1 milk tea (literally a tea bag and some milk...not even sugar. Why do I keep on falling for these things? See previous bubble tea blog) was a flop, I did find some luck in...

Guess what's inside?

Delicious pancake pops...15 for $1!


These came piping hot, fresh out of the mold. You can taste the chewy pancake dough which isn't overbearingly sweet. I thought 15 would be too much but I gulped them down in a second. They kind of remind me of these chocolate flower pops that I saw at Godiva earlier...

Godiva chocolate pops

And as I was browsing through a grocery store, I found this "Delicious brand Chinese" pork sung. I didn't catch the "brand" in middle the first time, so I thought this flavor must have been Delicious Chinese, which isn't too far from the truth. 


I found some crazy things that people actually eat. This old lady asked for my help to reach for a jar of sweet fermented rice, the kind that my grandma used to make at home for rice wine. She says it's delicious cooked or otherwise, although I always remember puking at the taste.

And as I was cashing out, the man behind me was purchasing some round egg-ish things in a jar. I asked him what it was and he said it was plums. I'll have to try it next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment