Thursday, May 24, 2012

First day of work


So it’s the first day of work, and I’m already off to a rocky start. Let’s just say that I broke the straw on the camel’s back, and wasted some time getting rejected for something I shouldn’t have been. Not really feeling all that great, but keeping optimistic. Must be karma-elimination season.

I had to take off early to complete a physical in Chinatown. When I got to the office, I found out that I had to take a chest X-ray. I was already really thirsty, so walking 15 minutes to the Xray place didn’t really help. Thankfully, the folks there were really friendly, and there was a water dispenser.

I decided to treat myself to some bubble tea to de-stress a little bit. There was a Kung Fu tea parlor right opposite the subway, so I jumped right in. Last time I really wanted to try the Green Wow Tea, so I gave that a shot, hoping the green beans would calm me down a bit.

 
Green Wow Tea 
(ironically, the Chinese says "We are not uncareful in selecting tea, it takes real kung-fu to make good tea)

To my utter disappointment, it was literally green beans, jelly (which I substituted from bubbles), and 3/4 cup milk. Yup, I paid $4 for a glass of milk.

Then walking down to the subway, I bumped into a churro-stand. Remembering how good Costco churros are cheered me up. I got two churro sticks and munched happily down to the subway, except to find that I was on the wrong side. So I burned off the first bite walking back up the stairs to the other platform.

Churro sticks

The churros did the trick. And when I got through the milk, I found out that the green beans and jelly tasted just fine – chewy and sweet, just the way I like it. (Only downside is that it’s really hard to use the straw to get the beans and jelly, you really need a spoon.)

So when you’re feeling like nothing else could wrong, remember two things:

1    1. It could get worse
2    2.  There’s light at the end of the tunnel, or in foodie terms, the good stuff is hidden at the bottom of the bowl 

No comments:

Post a Comment